12 Problems with Writing a Novel

As I have stated in a couple of my posts: I am working on my first novel. And, as it goes with most anything you set your mind to, I have ru...

As I have stated in a couple of my posts: I am working on my first novel. And, as it goes with most anything you set your mind to, I have run into some issues -- already. And, in chatting with others who are also working toward a similar goal, I have found I'm not alone in these issues.
So, instead of working on my novel, I have compiled a list of some of these problems.



  1. Who has time to write?
  2. I have the most motivation to write when I can't write
  3. The plot is on my mind ALL day
  4. I'm paranoid: What if someone, somehow finds out the complete concept behind the novel I've been working on and decides to write it faster, finish it, self-publish and make millions before I'm even finished writing the first chapter.
  5. I'm starting to have dreams about the characters
  6. Whenever I start writing, I just want to get to the ending
  7. You have to keep it interesting, too, which can be difficult....
  8. I have a full-time job aside from this full-time aspiration
  9. I can't just neglect things like, you know, showering, eating, exercise, etc. all in the name of getting into a writing roll.
  10. There's not enough coffee in the world for a writer.
  11. I can't stop thinking of all the other aspects of writing as well such as promotion and design which I should be worried about later.
  12. I wouldn't change my mind for anything about making the decision to finally write this book.
So, fellow novelist, writers, journalists, etc. What are some of the biggest problems you have come across while trying to write as a side job or hobby?
Comments please, let's discuss!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images